If you’re here, you’re probably already familiar with some of the benefits of essential oils and want to make essential oils at home. Making your own essential oils can be fun and easy; however, some materials and know-how is needed to help you get over the initial hump. Hang in there; we’ll outline the basic steps and the materials needed to get you started. Later on we’ll go into more detail, include some fun tips, and have you enjoying all the wonderful benefits of these essential oils in no time.
What’s Needed To Make Essential Oils:
- A Still – This can be purchased or made from a pressure cooker or tea kettle and a few other items most likely laying around the house. Let’s worry about this detail later. For now let’s just get an understanding of what is needed and the basic steps.
- A heat source
- Harvested Plant Material
- Storage Containers – Small dark glass bottles or stainless steel containers work best.
Steps to Make Essential Oils:
- Harvest your plant materials
- Dry the plant materials (optional)
- Prepare your still
- Add water to the still
- Add plant materials
- Close still and add to heat
- Watch the still – Making sure it doesn’t boil over
- Filter the oils (optional)
- Pour essential oils into storage containers
That’s all there is to it! Remember to have fun while you’re learning and check back when you have more questions or need supplies. For more answers to your questions, stay tuned as we cover the following topics in future articles:
- Making or purchasing a still
- Plant-harvesting instructions – when and what to harvest
- Lots of essential oil recipes and essential oils blends.
- Top 25 essential oil uses and a list of essential oils